For Immediate Release
June 27th, 2014
Saskatoon – Today POS Bio-Sciences is unveiling their newest technology in the oils processing area. The newly installed short-path distillation system (SPD) is the first of its kind in Canada, commissioning is expected to finish in early July. SPD will now offer POS clients an economical commercial scale system (~100kg/hr) for the purification of high-value ingredients.
SPD is a distillation technique that involves the components travelling a short distance, often only a few centimeters, and is normally done at reduced pressure (<0.001 mbar). This technique is often used for separation of compounds which are unstable at high temperatures (i.e. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids). The advantage is that the heating temperature can be considerably lower (at reduced pressure) than the boiling point of the liquid at standard pressure, and the distillate only has to travel a short distance before condensing.
Possible applications of SPD;
- Concentration of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
- Concentration of food flavors, aromas, and spice extracts (essential oils).
- Wax distillation and processing.
- Purification of synthetic oils and resins.
- Separation of extracts.
- Separation of fatty acids, derivatives, or high boiling flavors.
- Purification of edible oils – contaminant removal, e.g. removal of pesticides to part per billion levels.
- Removal of residual solvents presence in the liquid food
POS Bio-Sciences is a contract R&D organization. We specialize in the extraction, fractionation, modification and purification of bio-based ingredients. We work with leading industries to develop new products and expand bio-processing capacity. From ingredients to bio-products to green solutions, our team brings bench strength and brilliant solutions to help companies grow.
For more information please contact:
Associate, Custom Processing and Business Development