Congratulations to POS Board member Mr. Art Froehlich (President, AgriView Inc.) for his upcoming induction into the Bio Industrial Hall of Fame on Wednesday November 21st, 2012. This is indeed a fitting recognition of Art’s many outstanding contributions to the Alberta life sciences community and beyond, as well as the enabling role he has played for future industry leaders.
Art Froehlich’s roots in the world of agriculture reach back to his childhood on the family farm in east central Saskatchewan.
Art works with a wide variety of industry stakeholders in both public and private sectors. He also shares his expertise with private and public sector organizations that focus on finance, processing, research, international marketing and retailing.
Through his international business interests Art continues to support companies that export a wide variety of agriculture & food products from Canada to markets around the globe.
Along with his business and professional commitments, Art is still involved in the family farm raising registered Red Angus cattle and producing wheat, malting barley and milling oats. In addition, he volunteers his time to the Canadian Foodgrains Bank and has served as a mentor to young entrepreneurs through the Business Development Bank of Canada. Art also volunteers support for organizations dealing with adults with developmental disabilities.
Recently Art has taken on a philanthropic developmental initiative in Peru where he is supporting local communities outside Lima to establish community gardens, composting & tree planting programs. Art also provides financial support to young Agricultural scientists from the developing world to allow them to attend major agricultural scientific conferences.
With an undergraduate degree from the University of Saskatchewan and an Executive MBA from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business, Art has spent the last 35 years working in primary food production, agri-business and agrimarketing in Canada, United States, Europe, South America and Asia. Art has served as the president of AdFarm, President of Westcan Malting, General Manager of Operations for Alberta Wheat Pool and the Director of Sales and Marketing at Hoechst Canada. In 2005, Art received the distinguished Agrologist Award from the Alberta Institute of Agrologists and the Alberta Centennial Gold Medal by the Province of Alberta.
Corporate & Community Affiliations
- Member, Board of Trustees, ABIC Foundation and currently organizing conferences in Canada for 2013
- Past Chair Advisory Committee University of Alberta Faculty of Agriculture, Life & Environmental Sciences
- Member Board of Directors, AdFarm
- Member, Board of Directors, Prince Rupert Grain Ltd.
- Board Chair Alberta Innovates Bio Solutions Corporation
- Member Board of Directors & Past Chair Alberta Value Added Corporation (AVAC)
- Member, Board of Directors, ATB Financial, Chair Governance Committee
- Member, Board of Directors Canadian Agriculture Policy Research Institute (CAPI)
- Member, Board of Directors FBSciences
- Member, Board of Directors Hokanson Capital Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors AgWest Bio
- Member, Board of Directors POS Biosciences
- Member, Capital Campaign Team TELUS World of Science
- Vice Chair Olds College Centennial Executive Committee 2013
- Member, Agriculture Institute of Canada
- Member, Organizing Committee 4-H Centennial 2013
- Member, Alberta Institute of Agrologists
- Member, Advisory Boards, and Boards of Directors for several privately and publicly held genetics, agricultural retail, international marketing and food processing companies.
Past Board Associations & Memberships
- Member, Board of Directors and Founding Chair, Genome Alberta
- Member, Board of Directors and Past Chair, Science Alberta Foundation
- Board Member, Alberta Life Sciences Institute
- Interprovincial Co-operatives Ltd. Vice Chair
- Western Canadian Elevator Association Vice Chair
- Board Member, Demeter Agro Ltd.
- Board Member, Prairie Sun Grains Ltd.
- Agriculture & Food Council Chair
- Alberta Agriculture Research Institute Chair
- Canadian Triticale Bio Refinery Initiative
- Vice Chair, Interprovincial Cooperatives Limited
- Vice Chair, Western Grain Elevator Association
- Vice Chair, Malting Industry Association of Canada and Malting and Brewing Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Foundation
- Board Chair, Calgary Region Persons with Development Disabilities
- Canada Korea/Japan Business Council
- Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto, Institute of Corporate Directors Program
- Conference Board of Canada Corporate Governance Program
- Graduate of Wharton School of Business, Advanced Management Program, University of Pennsylvania,1993
- B.Sc. Agriculture, University of Saskatchewan, 1975
- Dalgliesh Shipping Company Study Scholarship, United Kingdom, 1972
- Lifetime of Agriculture Experience
- 30 years of International Agribusiness and Agrimarketing Experience